Friday, March 6, 2015

Outside the Ropes by Ashley Claudy

My rating: ★★★
Genre: NA, romance
Series: Outside the Ropes #1

Blurb from Goodreads:
In the ring, Regan has control. Outside the ropes, she fights to survive.

Regan Sommers spent her life fighting. Fighting foster parents, kids in the group home, and classmates. But the night she has to fight for her life changes everything. 

Now, she's fighting for money in the ring, and from the first punch she's addicted. Every addiction has a price though, and this one is the gym's star boxer, Gage Lawson. He may come in an enticing tattooed package, but his demands are more than she can handle. 

The responding officer from that night, Anthony Fields, comes with no demands. He want's whatever she's willing to give, and Regan can handle that. She can definitely handle him. 

But no help comes string free, and Regan's not the only one with a hard past and scars to cover. The life she was trying to escape is nothing compared to the danger she's in the middle of now, and she can't fight her way out.


My review:


I didn't want to be Regan, the girl who made too many mistakes, and never got anything right, always choosing the wrong people, doing the wrong things, making the wrong choices. 

Very good. Very good, indeed. 

There is a very bold line between funny books and dark books. That we all can agree on, 'cause c'mon, dark things aren't really that funny. Anyways, a lot of authors doesn't really succeed in writing a book that is funny and dark. Sometimes they make them too dark so the funny parts aren't really that funny and sometimes they make them too funny so the dark things and problems doesn't really seem like real life struggles. But Ashley Claudy succeeded with that. This is a dark book so don't go into it thinking it'll be a light and happy read because it's not. It deals with some things that I know exists in the real world so it all turns out more realistic. But, at certain points there are happy and funny moments.

I love how Regan stands up for herself. Now, this is not a spoiler 'cause it's the first thing that happens in the book. Regan is attacked by a group of guys. She's outnumbered by a lot but she manages to break someone's nose and knee someone in their groin etc. And she starts boxing! Me likey. Strong woman!

Was it just me who felt remorse for Nan? I mean, according to what we get to know of her, she sounds like an incredibly intellectual woman who simply ended up with the wrong crowd. I believe she would've accomplished great things hadn't she had that life. 

Oh and Gage haha! To be honest I didn't think further about his name until the ending - I have no friggin idea how to pronounce it. I don't know why but I just can't. I was reading some part out loud to my friend when it struck me. I have no butterflying idea how to pronounce this name. I mean, it's a fairly easy name but I just can't. The same about jewelry.  I know exactly how to pronounce it, but I just can't. Weird, I know but yes. 

I loved this story. It was all well planned and exciting and exhilarating to read. All the characters were incredibly well-developed. They all had their own captivating pasts and personalities so you couldn't do other than love them. Normally, erotica novels aren't that long and doesn't have such a strong story. This one had. 

I had a single problem though. The cop. Now, I won't call him anything else than 'the cop' 'cause I seriously can't remember his name. See, I didn't even bother to memorize his name, haha. But whenever he was mentioned all I could think of was this gif: 




But oh, the cop, no strings. No strings. 

And ironically enough, just when I read that part I saw this gif and then read a review on Goodreads made only with gifs and this one was included in it (link to her review HERE). Coincidence? Don't think so. 


He was the type a girl would want to take home to her family, I could tell. But I didn’t have a family, and I wasn’t the girl you’d want to show off to your parents.

Contact me:

Goodreads: @forbiddenbooks
NetGalley: Sofia Rytters (reviewer) 
Wattpad: @dustbricks

Thank you so much for reading, I'll talk to you next time. BYEEE

sofia

No comments:

Post a Comment